Tuesday, May 26, 2015

May Flowers


"April showers bring May flowers" is an old English proverb, and although we didn't have a ton of rain this April, there are still many flowers out now in May.

Purple Irises, a large 'bulb' plant

Like I've said before here, I usually take a morning ride on my bicycle, and I often take my camera with me.

Although my own yard has no flowers except a few money plants, several other yards in the area have had really impressive azaleas and rhododendrons this May.

A medium small Rhododendron at its peak, about a week and a half ago.

The Rhododendron is Washington's state flower. I suppose it is because they grow so well here, with our moderate, marine climate.

A week ago, they were at their peak. But now, many are losing their blooms.
A large Rhododendron just after its peak just over a week ago. This week, the same plant had lost most of its blooms.

The Rhododendron's cousin, the azalea, also does very well here in Washington.  Some of the local yards have plenty of both flowering shrubs.
A yard with several medium large Rhododendrons, a huge Rhododendron in back, and a pink Azalea plant in the lower front.
 
I think of all the work people put into caring for these plants, and they bloom maybe three weeks out of the year -- four if you're lucky. Meanwhile, down by the Cedar River, there are several volunteer Rhododendrons, growing in the wild.
A few volunteer pink Rhododendrons, probably left from a house that used to exist where a riverside park now is located.

A close up shot of the wild pink Rhododendrons in a Renton riverside park.
A bumble bee visiting one of the wild pink Rhododendrons in a Renton riverside park.

Another nicely cared for Rhododendron plant.
Here in the rainy PNW, Spring is a time when the sun is often hidden behind grey skies, and much of the color you get is from the Rhododendrons and flowering cherry trees in someone's yard.

I once planted a Rhododendron, but I didn't know enough about them and it died during one of our harsher winters.
A climbing vine-like flowering plant that looks like a type of wild rose, on my birch tree. 
However, there is a wild looking type of rose on my birch tree.
My Lunaria Money Plant. The round leave like objects are seed pods, which look a little like "money".
And my money plant is starting to sprout money. :-)

Do you have many Rhododendrons and Azaleas where you live?


No comments:

Post a Comment